Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Why can I not operate a hairdryer?

So I got my hair cut today, and as always, Judy spent about fifteen minutes with a hairdryer, and I came out with a perfect hairstyle that will last approximately 24 hours.

At which point I will wash my hair and attempt to replicate her results.

Which is why most days I wear my hair back in a clip.

What is it with stylists and hair dryers? I know they've had tons of training, but there seems to be an element of magic in there, too. I have watched as Judy wields the brush and dryer. I have attempted to learn. I have repeatedly tried to use the same techniques at home. With the result that my head always winds up looking like a haystack that had a close shave with a tornado.

Perhaps it's because I declined to spend $140 on a dryer that Judy said would 'change my life' and instead dropped $19.99 on a Target special. But whatever it is, my hair looks fabulous today, and I'm going to enjoy it.

Tomorrow I can put it back in a barrette.

Oh -- and due to hair and other appointments, I have written a whopping 400 words today. And I'm serving lunch at my daughter's school tomorrow. Not good.

Grrr.

P.S. This morning, when I told my friend (who happens to be a photojournalist) that I was going to get my hair cut, he blinked at me and said "Didn't the editor come yesterday?" When I told him that yes, she had, he pointed out that most people would get the haircut prior to the visit from a photographer. But honestly. Who has time for hair when you're waging battle with your oven?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home