Monday, March 05, 2007

It's National Procrastination Week!

For those of you who noticed I didn't post yesterday, it's in celebration of National Procrastination Week, an event I heard about on KUT this morning. Okay, so obviously that's not really the truth, but it could be. And I did write my 1500 words today, by the way, but since the Statesman will be at my house tomorrow, I don't have high hopes for Tuesday's word production.

Oh -- and I must tell you, this morning I saw a pick-up truck advertising a business I never in a million years would have thought of: "Bookkeeping for Truckers."

Seriously.

Can you say niche marketing?

Anyway, the real reason I didn't blog yesterday is that before church, I saw a raccoon sleeping in a pile of leaves outside my kitchen window. We went out and took a few shots (with the camera, not a rifle); when we got back a few hours later, he was still there.

He's absolutely adorable, but was having a hard time moving, and was very shaky. We called Wildlife Rescue, and with the help of a have-a-heart trap my mother-in-law lent us and a can of tuna, we lured him in, and I drove him up to the wildlife rehabilitator's house in Round Rock yesterday afternoon. Unfortunately, she diagnosed him with distemper. The survival rate is only 5%, which makes me sad. I'm keeping my fingers crossed; but if nothing else, at least we made his last few days a little more comfortable, I hope.

Of course, Round Rock is close to IKEA, so I had to stop there, too, and now we have lots of new rag rugs and table runners, a new salad bowl, and a ton of Swedish cheese and jams.

I am SUCH a sucker.

But back to the raccoon; I'm going to call the lovely woman who took him (her name is Karen, too) later this week for an update on our cute little masked bandit. Send your good thoughts his way! (And my way, too, please, so I don't burn my muffins in front of God and everyone tomorrow.)

I saw your great comments, by the way, and will be back after I pick Ian up from school. And bake a batch of muffins...

2 Comments:

At 5:40 PM, March 05, 2007, Blogger Gracesmom48 said...

Karen- I showed my 12-year old daughter Grace a picture of the little raccoon and she said even though you can't keep him, he deserves a name and she is recommending "Fluffy". She is the kind of kid who goes to the mailbox and comes back with a stray dog. FYI: I'm writing to you on my new laptop I bought with the proceeds of my first professional garage sale! Also, if you heard any loud moaning yesterday afternoon it was because I baked the chocolate-cherry brownies out of 'Dead and Berried' and when I tasted the results, I just couldn't control myself. Knock 'em dead tomorrow at your groovy Statesman interview. They will love your house....it's so homey! Melissa

 
At 11:26 PM, March 05, 2007, Blogger Karen MacInerney said...

He is now named "Fluffy." Fingers crossed for him. Poor little guy!

Congratulations on the laptop, Melissa! Think of how much you'll be able to get done now!

And I'm glad you liked the brownies. I promised Kitty a batch of muffins, the recipe for which was 'under development.'

It is still 'under development.'

I baked 72 muffins this afternoon. Yes, you read that right. Seventy-two. And I thought I got it right the last time, but I just checked and as they cooled, they sank a little in the middle.

But they taste delicious, and I'm going to affirm that that's the most important part of a muffin's overall aesthetic appeal.

Right?

It is now 11:30 and I need to wash the flour out of my hair.

Stupid muffins.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home