Saturday, February 24, 2007

The news

First, I did write about 900 words this morning (I thought it was less, but my word count meter was acting up, so that was a pleasant surprise).

And much more importantly, I got word two days ago that Murder on the Rocks was nominated for an Agatha Award for best first novel.

I am blown away.

Three-and-a-half years ago I sat on the futon on my office, screwed up my courage, and wrote the first few paragraphs of a mystery novel. I figured it would probably never see anything but the bottom desk drawer, but I decided to give it my best shot and write the book I'd always wanted to read.

And now, almost four years later, not only is that book (and its sequel) on the shelves, but it's been nominated for an Agatha.

I guess some dreams really do come true.

I hope to see everyone at Malice this spring. Wild horses couldn't keep me away. :)

May all your weekends are wonderful -- mine is shaping up pretty darned fantastically so far -- and thank you so much to everyone who put in a vote for Natalie and the Gray Whale Inn.

I'm honored beyond belief. And stunned. Did I mention stunned?

Off to go and pinch myself again...

Karen

10 Comments:

At 5:21 PM, February 24, 2007, Blogger Christa M. Miller said...

Congratulations!! I am so thrilled for you!

 
At 8:03 PM, February 24, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, I hope you win! I just finished Dead and Berried and loved both books so much! When is the next one coming? I'm hoping good things for Jon and Natalie...

Best,
Lelia

 
At 10:12 PM, February 24, 2007, Blogger Karen MacInerney said...

Christa,

Thanks so much! I still can't believe it. I've got red marks from pinching myself every five minutes.

And just think, Christa -- in a few years (with a babysitter or two), I may be congratulating YOU!

 
At 10:17 PM, February 24, 2007, Blogger Karen MacInerney said...

Lelia,

Thanks so much for the congrats. It would be great to win, but I'm so thrilled with the nomination that winning would just be the cherry on top of the whipped cream on top of the three layer double chocolate cake. :)

And I'm hoping good things for John and Natalie too, although the little plot-producer in my head does like to create a few extra snags from time to time...

Thanks again for the note, Lelia. I'm SO glad you like the books. I always write the books I'd like to read, but it's nice hearing that other people like them, too!

Take care, and thanks for writing!

 
At 9:43 PM, February 25, 2007, Blogger Gracesmom48 said...

Karen- I'm so excited for you, I love when good guys finish first!! I know you haven't won yet, but just to be nominated....that's so wonderful! I'm going to try to pick up the second book this week. I've been waiting for it to come out, and now I'm crazy busy with the new business. Big goofy smiles, Melissa

 
At 10:53 PM, February 25, 2007, Blogger Karen MacInerney said...

Thanks so much, Melissa... and I've got my pen at the ready if you want it signed!

And you're right -- just being nominated is incredible. And much more than I ever dreamed of. :)

Take care, Melissa... and hope that all that craziness means you have lots and lots of customers in your new business...

Thanks so much for your sweet note!

Karen

 
At 1:15 PM, February 26, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here, Karen, let me pinch for you--I'm a nurse, remember, so I know all the spots connected directly to your brain. To make you realize that: YES, hot dang--you've been nominated for the AGATHA!

I'm so incredibly proud of you! :-)

Now here's a cold glass of bubbbly . . . to hold against all those pinch marks!

Candy

 
At 2:18 PM, February 26, 2007, Blogger Keith Raffel said...

Bravo on the Agatha nom! So exciting.

 
At 3:17 PM, February 26, 2007, Blogger Karen MacInerney said...

Candy,

Watch it with the pinches there! But I'll take you up on the bubbly any day.. particularly after the turpentine-flavored Riesling I imbibed last night.

Thanks so much -- I can't wait to see you at Malice. And congrats to you and Sue Ann Jaffarian on being semifinalists for a Readers View Literary Award... keep us posted!

Hugs,
Karen

 
At 3:29 PM, February 26, 2007, Blogger Karen MacInerney said...

Keith,

Thanks so much! Every time I start to complain I have no time, I think of you with your full-time job and four (is it four?) kids, writing fabulous books. Keep it up -- we want to read more. When's the next one out?

And I hope our paths cross at one of these conferences again.

Thanks again!
Karen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home