Monday, February 19, 2007

Things to be thankful for

I was considering doing a post called "When bad things happen to good characters" today, but I just got back from the YMCA, where I spent two hours supervising my kids swimming, and something struck me.

As I sat on a rather hard plastic bench admiring my children's cannonballs and semi-handstands, a young man with very limited mobility was wheeled in by a young woman. After a bit of orchestration, she and another woman lifted him from his wheelchair into the water, saying, "Are you ready to move a little bit?"

The look of delight on the young man's face when they lowered him into the water was a marvelous thing.

I sometimes overlook what a great gift it is simply to be able to go to the kitchen and get a glass of water, or fold a load of laundry, or cook dinner. Or step outside and let the wind blow through my hair while I stroll the neighborhood. It's moments like the one I experienced this afternoon that remind me of that.

So as I watched the kids, my attention kept drifting to the young man, cradled in a kind woman's arms, being swirled around the pool, weightless. Moving in ways that are usually denied to him. And I'll tell you, his joy was contagious.

He also -- in his own way -- reminded me of two things: one, we are very, very fortunate just to be here, and can find joy no matter what obstacles life throws our way. And two, little things can really make a difference in others' lives -- as the assistance of the two women today did.

Now, having waxed philosophical for a few minutes, I'm off to do a load of towels -- and spend a few moments being grateful that I can. I'll write the post I had in mind this morning later on this week.

I hope you are all having a wonderful day!

2 Comments:

At 7:23 PM, February 19, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It does take something like that, doesn't it, to wake us up and allow us to appreciate the small things, like being able to fold the laundry. I've had these kinds of moments myself in the past, but I needed another dose of it now. Thankyou, Karen! You described it all so beautifully.
Judy

 
At 9:05 AM, February 20, 2007, Blogger Karen MacInerney said...

Thanks, Judy....

and today, when both of my kids appear to be sick (again), I particularly need to remember how fortunate I am. :)

Off to check on Abby...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home