Wednesday, February 14, 2007

People unclear on the concept.

I'm sitting at the Westbank Community Library, which is conveniently located three blocks from my house, and which I fund almost singlehandedly with my library fines, in a procrastinatory mood. (I am launching a campaign to make that a word, by the way.) Maybe it's because of the delicious Mexi-Cobb salad I just ate at Chuy's with my husband. Followed by half his Chuychanga (yum) and part of a margarita. Mmmm...

Anyway, in deference to my mood, instead of writing a sexually charged scene about werewolves, I'm thinking about the Dear Abby column I read this morning.

Today's standout was a letter from "Needs Therapy in Texas" (which, I can assure you, is most definitely the case). "Needs Therapy" has evidently been having a number of disagreements with her lover, and feels couples counseling would help "make the relationship work." The only hitch? Her lover keeps insisting that they see the same marriage counselor that he is currently seeing... WITH HIS WIFE.

Yes, that's right. His WIFE. I can hear the phone conversation now: "Honey, I'll be a few hours late; my mistress and I are going to couples therapy. Don't wait up, because we've also got a hotel room reserved. I'll tell the doctor 'hi' for you. And sorry about the mix-up on those roses I sent... I'll try to get the names right next time."

Mind boggling, I tell you.

At any rate, despite my ruminations on other people's warped relationships, I'm almost two-thirds of the way through my manuscript revision, and hope to have it done this week. Oh -- and in case you were wondering, I did manage to get my camera to work. Which is why I have a new picture. (Which my daughter still insists bears no resemblance to me. Maybe I'll just post a picture of Chewbacca instead.)

Blogwise, going forward, I will be attempting to liven things up with pictures of my own camera. Well, maybe not of my camera, but from my camera. I am not, however, a crack photographer, so consider yourselves warned. (Then again, based on those last few sentences, perhaps I'm not quite a crack writer, either, so bad photography may make no difference whatsoever to overall post quality.)

Anybody got any exciting V-Day plans? So I can live vicariously through you? (The highlight of tonight's planned festivities involves meatloaf. Maybe, if I'm feeling creative, I'll make it heart-shaped and cover it in ketchup.)

Back to the romantic werewolf grindstone...

K

4 Comments:

At 6:02 PM, February 14, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Karen,

Love the Dear Abby letter. It truly is mind boggling what goes on in people's lives. Actually, it gives us writers great material.

Romantic werewolves? Hmmm. Shaving before a date must be a bitch. LOL. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Romantic valentine's plans? Not here. The wind has picked up and the sleet/rain/snow is still going strong. A lovely day. I couldn't believe when I read, I also made meatloaf for dinner. Too funny. But I no ambition to to make it in heart-shaped.

I read through two chapters so far & began a new scene. That's what I'm going to work on in a little while.

Debra S.

 
At 12:24 AM, February 15, 2007, Blogger Gracesmom48 said...

Hey Karen, My husband and I went to Zach Scott tonight and saw "Present Laughter" which was HILARIOUS. The lead actor just chewed the scenery. However, before the show there was a table set up in the lobby with an author who had written a biography of Zach Scott. When I picked up the book and looked through it, the author crossed his arms, leaned forward, chewed something crunchy sounding in his mouth and stared at me until I got so uncomfortable, I left. I wanted to tell him, "Rule #1, don't frighten the customers!" He was scary and oh so different from you at book signings. Melissa B. PS I really hope he's not a friend of yours.

 
At 10:57 AM, February 15, 2007, Blogger Karen MacInerney said...

Debra,

Actually, shaving is a very large part of this series. So far I've avoided any romantic interludes with them in their wolfie forms, but it's a bit of a challenge...

And I was out of ground beef, so we had some kind of pork dish I got out of my menu mailer. Quite tasty, but not very festive.

Have fun revising; I'm going to add another wolfie interlude now. After blogging, of course. :)

 
At 10:59 AM, February 15, 2007, Blogger Karen MacInerney said...

Melissa,

You were about two miles from my house last night, then. And I do try never to crunch and stare at people. At least not at a signing. ;)

I don't think I know the author in question, but I may have met him at a Writers' League function. I'll have to look him up! Now I'm curious. I'm off to write a bit now...

Hope you're surviving the chilly weather!

Karen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home