Friday, February 09, 2007

Five things you didn't know about me.

Well, Susan Wittig Albert was kind enough to blog tag me. So I've spent the morning sitting at the pediatrician's office (which has, thankfully, replaced the rather colorful carpet with vomit-proof laminate and removed the "Typhoid Mary Toy Table") thinking of things that might be interesting enough to merit posting.

Here's what I came up with.


1) In 1992, I was the fastest chugger on the Wiess College Women's Beer Bike Team at Rice. Which is, to be honest, kind of embarrassing. Of course, it's not nearly as embarrassing as the fact that fifteen years later I still remember my best time. (Twenty-four ounces in 5.8 seconds, in case you were wondering. And to think my parents were under the impression that I wasn't learning anything!)

2) My favorite show is All Creatures Great and Small, which was a BBC series filmed in the 70s based on books written about the 30s. This could have something to do with the fact that I have no television reception in my house, but there it is.

3) I have a secret (well, until now, anyway) fondness for British comedic actors such as John Cleese, Peter Davison and Robert Hardy. The last two, oddly enough, both starred in the series All Creatures Great and Small.

4) I never eat cold cereal for breakfast. Okay, so that's not that interesting. But my time in the pediatrician's waiting room was brutally curtailed by someone actually inviting us to relocate to an examining room.

5) I speak four -- well, three-and-a-half, really -- languages, of which I use precisely one. Which is why I never understand why parents bother to shell out thousands of dollars so that their pre-school children can learn their ABCs in languages like, say, Swahili. I mean, if you're going to give them something really useful, why not enroll them in speed-laundry-folding classes? Or dishwasher loading theory?

6) (A bonus) I'm in a procrastinatory mood right now. Is that a word? If not, it should be. In fact, I think I'll take a few moments to contact my daughter's teacher and request that it take the place of this week's star spelling word, which is -- perplexingly -- 'veejay.' (For full rant, go here.)

And by the way, I didn't end up going anywhere but dreamland last night. On the plus side, both Peter Davison AND John Cleese were there, so it wasn't too bad...

And now, I get to tag... fellow cozy chick Diana Killian and fellow mystery author Candy Calvert!

P.S. Lest anyone cross Rice off their children's college list for fear of alcohol poisoning, the beer was (a) boiled, (b) non-alcoholic, (c) flat, and (d) not exactly a taste sensation. :)

7 Comments:

At 3:09 PM, February 09, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cannot believe I never came across your books. You sound so tremendously funny! Do you mind me asking what your three and a half languages are? I will resume to Amazon right now and try to get hold of your books.
Lots of love from Germany,
Katrin Langfeld (who came across you by Susan wittig Albert...)

 
At 7:36 PM, February 09, 2007, Blogger Debra said...

Hi Karen,

I loved All Creatures Great & Small. It hasn't been on in years. Tonight has been crazy, I had to give both dogs their baths because tomorrow they're going for their Valentine's Day pictures. Now I have to go finish my revisions. Last night after I finished the second to last chapter I felt there was something missing. I needed a transition from when my sleuth confronts the killer to the last chapter where everything is wrapped up. Then I remembered I had a scene from the original draft that would do the trick. Only problem it was about five pages, I need more to fill out the chapter. What to do? Then I had an idea, wrote the scene but it sucked. I asked myself "what's the point of this scene?" Honest answer? "to fill out the chapter." LOL. Frustrated becuase I'm sooo close I decided to go to bed. I rested my head on the pillow and the new scene came to me. It's perfect. So I have to add that in tonight and tackle the last chapter. If I don't finish tonight, I'll have to get up extra early to work on it before my writer's meeting. I'm soooo going there with a completed revision even if it kills me.
Well, I better get to work.

Debra S.

 
At 9:20 PM, February 09, 2007, Blogger Karen MacInerney said...

Katrin,

Deutsch (natuerlich), Francais, and kind-of-Spanish. Oh, and English. Where in Germany are you? I lived in Munich for a year, many moons ago...

And thanks for your kind comments! It's so much fun coming up with odd tidbits; I'm just glad somebody appreciates my warped view of the world. :)

I hope you found the books, by the way -- and that you enjoy them.

Thanks so much for writing! (Now you're making me hungry for Dampfnudeln, though...) Please stop by again -- and let me know what you think of Murder on the Rocks and Dead and Berried!

Lots of love from Texas,
Karen

 
At 9:26 PM, February 09, 2007, Blogger Karen MacInerney said...

Debra,

Ah, another All Creatures Fan. I know they're not on TV anymore; I own them all. :) (I found one at the library and bought the rest.)

Glad the dogs are clean -- I used to wash cats, but that's a story for another day.

Re: the writing, it's best to make sure it's right rather than hurry ahead too fast. Funny, isn't it, how these solutions just present themselves sometimes when we're least expecting it? And it sounds like you're just hours away anyway.

I rather noticeably omitted today's word count, which came in around 400. Can I count the blog? No, probably not. Oh, well. That might have gotten me up near 1,000...

Debra, you have to post the moment you're done, though, so I can do the "I'm done happy dance" for you. :) And have an excuse to crack open a bottle of something alcoholic.

Karen (who's parenting solo tonight and rearranged the furniture in both children's rooms to avoid writing. Oh, and I have eye strain. Gaah!)

 
At 12:14 PM, February 10, 2007, Blogger Diana Killian said...

I expect to see physical proof of this secret chugging skill at Malice this year.

A whole new meaning to the term "unexpected depths."

 
At 1:31 PM, February 10, 2007, Blogger Karen MacInerney said...

vfvDiana,

If you'll boil the beer, I promise a demonstration.

Just not at the Sunday tea. :)

 
At 1:31 PM, February 10, 2007, Blogger Karen MacInerney said...

Okay. In case you're wondering, I don't usually refer to Diana as "vfvDiana". Blogger relocated half of my word verification. Oops!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home