Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Stupid mortality

I don't often think about it, but the last few weeks, this whole "ashes to ashes" thing just keeps popping up.

And not just because that's all they talked about at the 2-plus hour pre-Easter service last Saturday night. (I think I've done my churchly duties for a year, incidentally.)

I learned today that the lovely and talented writer Elaine Viets (she writes the wonderful Dead-End-Job mysteries) had a stroke two days ago. Initially, the prognosis was dire, but she has since undergone surgery, and things are looking up. The word is that Elaine will be able to write again, but evidently her recovery will be long and difficult.

This thing called life can be pretty terrifying.

My prayers go to Elaine and her family.

4 Comments:

At 11:21 AM, April 12, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Karen,

I'm so sorry to hear about Elaine Viets. I enjoy her series and wish her all the best in her recovery.

When I hear things like that they are reality checks for me. Makes me think about what's really important.

On a lighter note. 2 hours + for a pre-Easter service? You really thinkg you're done with your churchly duties? Try being president of a church's women's club. Yeah, I am. That is until June 6th and yes, I'm counting the days until my title reverts to Past President. I'll be the one doing a happy dance in the restaurant. LOL.

Have a great day,
Debra S.

 
At 12:35 PM, April 12, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The "Churchy" stuff helps us get through life's challenges! .... but 2 hours in pushing it!

Hope to see you in San Antonio this coming Saturday.


John Strieb
San Antonio, Texas

 
At 6:42 PM, April 18, 2007, Blogger Karen MacInerney said...

Debra,

Yes, I've been thinking about it a lot lately. But have decided just to value what I have instead of worrying about what I might lose.

And if I were you, I'd be waiting for June 6th, too.

That's a job I don't envy you. :)

 
At 6:43 PM, April 18, 2007, Blogger Karen MacInerney said...

John,

Great to meet you at Remember the Alibi! (What a wonderful store, no?)

And yes, two hours is pushing it, particularly when you're accompanied by two members of the under-ten set.

Hope to see you again soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home