Monday, April 09, 2007

I know why they have eggs at Easter!

It's because we're all egg-shaped the day afterwards.

I avoided chocolate (for the most part, anyway -- admittedly there were a couple of bad moments with the Reese's Peanut Butter Cups), but it was a double-ham-dinner day, and I ate so much of the pink stuff I'm afraid I'm going to start oinking soon. (I also drank about six gallons of water to compensate for the salt, and was tempted last night to resort to elastic waistbands.)

But I went for a walk and wrote my words and had a modest lunch today, so I'm feeling slightly more human.

However, I realized half an hour ago that I'm teaching a class tonight, and that I haven't yet come up with the writing exercises I want to assign. So I have to toddle off and do that now.

Before I go, though, reading-wise, I'm on a France kick right now; after working my way through Peter Mayle's latest, which was fun, I picked up Mireille Guiliano's book French Women for All Seasons (I'll post the link later; this browser won't let me do it). I have many, many things to say about that book, but little time at the moment. For now, though, I will say that thank God the French women I've met have little in common with "The French Woman" as described by Ms. Guiliano, or I would have been tempted to throttle them all with their fashionable scarves. (So attractive! So versatile! So potentially lethal!)

Oh -- and I wrote 1700 words today. In case you were counting. :) (I am, but then again, I'm the one with the deadline. Er, deadlines. Three of them, in fact. Gah! Need chocolate...)

12 Comments:

At 7:40 PM, April 09, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I was pretty good yesterday, not too much chocolate. Though I indulged in Ricotta pie and some cookies.

My computer isn't doing too well. I have a back-up file but I prefer to work edits on the PC, copying & pasting is easier than the laptop. But it doesn't look like that's going to work. So I guess I'll have to adjust. Oh well, I guess it could be worse.

I did some revisions today. Yay!

Hope your class went well.
Debra

 
At 11:32 PM, April 09, 2007, Blogger Gracesmom48 said...

Hi Karen- I read 'French Women Don't Get Fat' by that same author and I swear to God I wanted to track her down and kick her skinny french #$%#! She says we're supposed to select our fruit and vegetables the same day we cook them from an organic market and spend hours steaming, slicing, sauteeing, etc. Then we're supposed to set the table with china and fresh flowers while wearing high heels and a fetching monochromatic outfit. Then we're supposed to eat only one or two bites of everything until we are 'comfortably full' and throw out the rest because it's not good enough to eat the next day. Yeah, that's gonna happen. The day I do anything close to that, is the day it snows in Texas at Easter! Oh, wrong argument. The only good news was I bought the book with a discount coupon and then sold it to some sucker at a garage sale for $10, so I didn't feel too bad about it. Do I sound bitter? No, I didn't think so. Melissa

 
At 2:18 PM, April 10, 2007, Blogger Ashley said...

Let me just say that the pleasure was all mine. Really! It was so great talking to you last week! I can't wait to read your books (in their entireties, beyond the free excerpts of course). I'm glad to hear you had a good Easter, and good luck with those deadlines! Now if you'll excuse me, I have some overdue blogging to take care of (again!).

All my best,
Ashley

 
At 5:13 PM, April 10, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Karen,
Sounds like you had a lovely Easter. We ended up serving Brunch for Easter (two babies have to be home in time for their early afternoon naps). So guess what I made? Your Strata! And it went over so well! Yummmmy... I'm actually going to try to do some writing tonight.
Judy

 
At 5:24 PM, April 10, 2007, Blogger Laura K. Curtis said...

Easter, Shmeaster. I've been eating macaroons (my own style, which has about 1 tablespoon of flour and is 95% coconut, sugar and butter, not that junk you buy in the store) for days. Chocolate chip macaroons, too. Oy. Why do I come from a culture devoted so heavily to food?

I am up to 39,000 words.

 
At 5:28 PM, April 10, 2007, Blogger Karen MacInerney said...

Debra,

Ricotta pie? Sounds decadent... I need to find a recipe.

And good job on the revisions. I hope your computer is feeling better!

(And class went fine... thanks!)

 
At 5:30 PM, April 10, 2007, Blogger Karen MacInerney said...

Melissa,

LOL!

That's it in a nutshell. :)

And I got my copy of French What's-its from the library, so as long as I return it on time, I won't have spent a penny.

So, are you wearing wear heels and a fetching monochromatic outfit to dinner tonight?

 
At 5:31 PM, April 10, 2007, Blogger Karen MacInerney said...

Ashley,

I had a great time talking with you. (Ashley Moreno, btw, is the delightful young reporter from the Daily Texan who interviewed me last Wednesday.)

And good for you on the blogging! If only I'd been so together when I was in college...

Cheers (and please stay in touch),
Karen

 
At 5:32 PM, April 10, 2007, Blogger Karen MacInerney said...

Judy,

Sounds like a great Easter to me! (And that strata is delish, isn't it?)

The leftovers heat up well, too... that is, if you have any. :)

So glad you enjoyed the strata!

 
At 5:35 PM, April 10, 2007, Blogger Karen MacInerney said...

Laura,

A friend of mine dropped of chocolate-covered matzoh for me yesterday. Yum.

And my best friend (who's Jewish) doesn't keep Kosher, but gives up leavened bread every year for Passover. My favorite story of hers was from La Madeleine... they went there for breakfast, and my friend said, "Since we can't have croissants, can we have extra bacon?"

Happy Belated Passover!

 
At 11:37 PM, April 10, 2007, Blogger Laura K. Curtis said...

>>"Since we can't have croissants, can we have extra bacon?"<<

My kind of gal! We don't keep kosher (ah, I love the 'other white meat'), but the only time I eat macaroons is at Passover.

I did try to do Lent once with my Cathoic roommate. We attempted to give up complaining. It was impossible. How can you live if you can't even complain about giving up complaining?

 
At 8:32 PM, April 11, 2007, Blogger Karen MacInerney said...

Laura,

LOL! I wouldn't make it five minutes. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home