Thursday, March 06, 2008

Strep throat, politics... and Firetruck

So I got my annual March bug last week -- usually it holds out for Spring Break, but I guess since we have no big plans this year, it decided to arrive early -- in the form of Strep Throat. I was only out for two or three days, but the timing could have been better.

I got sick Saturday night, you see, and Tuesday was the day of the primaries here in Texas. Which is not ideal if you're trying desperately to sleep so you can stop feeling like you're the bottom of someone's shoe. The bottom of a marathoner's shoe, actually. A marathoner's shoe on a track frequented by cattle suffering from gastrointestinal distress.

But I digress.

Anyway, that stupid thing rang SIXTEEN times on Monday. By four o'clock, I was huddled in bed with the covers around my ears raving to whoever would listen (not the recorded voices on the phone, alas) that if they called again, I'd start actively campaigning AGAINST all three candidates.

It didn't help.

Speaking of campaigns, I was thinking the other day how proud I am to be an American. Why? Because regardless of how you feel about them politically or personally, two of the three people currently running for the top political office would at some point in our country's history -- including, in one case, the first two decades of the twentieth century -- not have been ALLOWED to vote.

Wow.

Isn't it encouraging how far we've come?

Well, that's my pithy thought for the day. On yet another note -- I'm rather ADD today, aren't I? -- I've loved reading your comments on Firetruck's mishap last week. I plan to respond to them tonight -- but feel obligated to share the sad news that he did not last the week. I feel awful about it, to be honest, but Ian took the news well. (Probably in part because I didn't mention the whole egg noodle/disposal episode.)

RIP, Firetruck... may you have a cleaner tank and a better keeper in the fishy hereafter!

2 Comments:

At 9:35 PM, March 06, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Karen- I feel like I was stalked by the Clintons and the Obamas for the last 2 weeks. My phone NEVER stopped ringing...even little Chelsea called and left messages! Sorry about Firetruck; those are hard lessons for the kids to learn. CT was great; it's so beautiful up there, we had SO much fun. I bought you a present; it's a book written in the 40's about the history of Maine and it looks fascinating. I thought maybe you could get some ideas from it. Gotta run..big sale tomorrow -Melissa

 
At 11:38 AM, March 18, 2008, Blogger Karen MacInerney said...

Melissa,

I know... but wasn't it kind of exciting for a change?

The Maine book sounds wonderful -- let me know when you're garage-free...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home