Thursday, May 18, 2006

Tea, Tuxedo Cake... and the Cozy Chicks!



If you're wondering why it's been so quiet around here, the answer is, it hasn't. I just haven't had time to record everything!

When I haven't been plugging away at the computer, I've been out and about for Sisters in Crime's Mystery Week (come to think of it, I need to get in touch with the writer I'm mentoring soon).... the picture above (taken by Sally Baker) is yours truly with three of her role models at the Irving Club Tea in Lockhart, Texas. The tea, which was at the gorgeous Lockhart library, featured three of Austin's mystery legends (Nancy Bell, Jan Grape, and Susan Rogers Cooper) -- and, somehow, me -- on a panel. I was incredibly honored, as you can imagine.

If you're not familiar with these authors' work, you're missing out. So here's the skinny. Nancy writes the wonderful Biggie Books, which take place in small-town Texas; Jan has a gripping series about an Austin policewoman; and Susan's got two great series -- I'm particularly fond of her E.J. books, which are set in small-town Texas.

Since I'd been reading these fabulous authors since long before I picked up a pen, it was an honor -- to say the least -- to join them. The food was fabulous, and I made a wonderful discovery called Tuxedo Cake, a gorgeous concoction involving several layers of cake, dark chocolate, and lots of whipped cream. Yum. If anyone has the recipe, please pass it on! I also saw a few familiar faces -- like Jo Virgil, the CRM of my local Barnes and Noble (and a writer herself) -- and met lots of wonderful people. I'll have to head back to Lockhart again soon!

On the writing front, I'm a quarter of the way through the first Sophie book -- and I got to write my first seance scene this week! (It involves barbecue.) And I'm pretty sure a review of Murder on the Rocks hit DownEast Magazine this month; I'm waiting to get my issue to see. Since it's heating up down here, I'm anxiously awaiting our trip to Maine. Blueberries and lobster, here we come!

Oh -- one more thing -- keep an eye out for the Cozy Chicks! Heather Webber, Michele Scott, Maggie Sefton, Diana Killian and I are joining up for a group venture... more coming soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home