Thursday, January 18, 2007

The Great Monkey Bread Debacle

Days kids home due to semi-inclement weather: 5
Dove chocolates consumed: 85 (approx.)
Monkey bread snarfed down: 1 gigantic loaf (minus three chunks for my children and husband)
Words written: 3,000 (hooray!)

As you can probably tell, I have (a) been stuck inside for several days with two active children and a pantry full of highly caloric foods and (b) been rereading Bridget Jones' Diary, which always makes me snarf coffee (or monkey bread, or Dove chocolates). Oddly enough, my jeans aren't fitting quite as well as they did last week...

Ah, well. On the plus side, I have been sneaking some writing in. On Tuesday, I set the alarm early and got up and parked on the couch next to my desk chair (which was occupied by my working-at-home-architect husband). And wrote.

About an hour later, I stretched, got up, and said, "Well, I'm done."

He looked at me from my desk and said, incredulously, "What? You just sat down!"

I told him it was a good day (which it was), but for the last three days he's been snorting and joking about what he calls my 'incredibly taxing work schedule.'

I, of course, responded that creative work takes time. And how can I help being efficient? To which he snorted again.

He does have a point, though. I could probably squeeze in a few more hours of writing a week. Heck, I could probably squeeze in a few more each day. But I'm superstitious about it somehow. You know what they say: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I've met a lot of writers who write up to 20 pages a day. I'm thinking I might up my 1000-word-per-day quota to like 1500 or something, which would take me from about 4 pages to 6. And would probably take me 2-3 hours instead of 1-2 hours, which is hardly a grueling schedule. (Of course, that doesn't count thinking, blogging, e-mailing and other writing-related tasks.)

Think of how many books I'd be able to write then!

At any rate, I hope your weeks are going great... now that kids are back in school, things are improving at the MacInerney household. (Although there are still two bits of monkey bread left, and a half-dozen chocolates... for now, anyway. Oh, and did I mention the yummy hot buttered rum recipe I discovered? I call it "Mother's Little Snow Day Helper.")

See you Monday, and have a great weekend!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home